1. Quality – a good birth photographer will be able to get images that are not out of focus or blurry from movement, even in the most challenging lighting!
2. The entire family and birth team can be in the photos. It's proof that they were there, and proof that they were involved.
3. A good birth photographer will use the photos to tell the whole story, not just a few snapshots after the birth.
4. Those with her for the birth will be able to focus on supporting mom throughout labor and afterwards.
5. After the baby is born, you won’t need to worry about sorting through photos, deleting the bad ones, or editing the photos – a professional birth photographer will do all that for you and deliver you a finished product so you can focus on bonding with your newborn.
6. A birth photographer can capture moments you never saw, like grandmas in the waiting room, siblings trying to sneak a peek into the birth room, etc.
7. This baby, this birth will only happen once, and there are no do-overs. You won’t get caught up in the intensity of the experience and forget to take any photos. The photographer has it covered.
8. Newborn babies change incredibly fast! By the second day, they already look different. Don’t let that first day look fade in your memory.
9. You get to see your birth from a different perspective. Sometimes women get very inwardly focused in labor, and seeing the photos later can help them know the big picture.
10. Finally, as your baby grows, you will be able to show them the story of their birth day. They will be able to see for themselves the love in their parent’s eyes, grandma’s excited tears, and the hesitant touch of older siblings.
Written by IAPBP Member: Andrea Lythgoe